Lucas and I are having the ultimate lazy Saturday: we had breakfast, watched Coming To America (now on Hulu! wow!), and since then we've been lying in bed reading books (except for this moment right now, where I stopped to write about it.) It is almost 4pm and I am still in my pajamas. Adult dreams come true!
This afternoon of joyous reading time inspired me to recommend some books to you. But briefly, because I want to get back to reading.
Here are my top picks for your summer enjoyment, whether you're vacationing somewhere fancy or not leaving your apartment at all:
- You'll Grow Out of It by Jessi Klein - Hilarious essays about being a lady, or at least trying hard to be one.
- Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn - Because you love true crime podcasts and you want to hear how lil' Charlie wormed his way into the hearts and minds of too many Californians. (Or, for a lightly fictionalized version, check out The Girls by Emma Cline.)
- Before the Fall by Noah Hawley - A good examination of the media, class, and tragedy from many points of view. But don't read it if you're about to fly on a plane.
- Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff - Rich people with mysterious pasts slowly falling apart emotionally!
- America's Women by Gail Collins - A scholarly, historical look at women in America from the 17th century to now.
- Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann - The best, most ridiculous, overdramatic beach read ever written.
That's all I got for now, but be my friend on Goodreads to see everything else I've read and highly rated. Happy reading times!