January is mostly depressing. The holidays are over, the credit card bills are due, it's super cold out, and our livers are crying. Not to mention all of the celebrities we know and love suddenly departing for the big Bowie party in the sky. Ooooffffff. BUT! I'm determined to not wallow through this month in sadness. At least, not more than 50% of the time.
Instead, I'm going to keep remembering the cool things that happen, even if they're small. In just this first week I've enjoyed some nice moments, like:
- Hanging out with this donkey in a Santa hat:
- Taking lots of naps
- Dancing wildly and calling it a workout (MY QUADS, you guys... wow)
- Enjoying free coffee at the office, because it's better than the coffee I have at home.
- Reading Jessi Klein's excellent book that you should all read too.
- Playing Jens Lekman's new single on repeat (his new album is out in February and I'm seeing him play in March and oh man why aren't those things sooner??)
See? Good things already exist, even though it's 22 degrees outside and it'll be dark by 5pm! Yes, I'm nervous for 2017, as we enter an even shakier political climate, but I won't let that drag me down. I want to stay positive, alert, active, and creative. Anything but complacent.
Also: I'd really like to learn how to French braid my own hair so I can have those fancy crown braids that are all over Pinterest. Feel free to send me some good tutorials.
HAPPY 2017, EVERYONE! May you all find your own holiday donkey to hug. <3